The Bus Stop

 



This story is an example of we are never alone in the universe. This story took place in mid 2009. I was a single mom with my only son Jacob. I did not own a car and I depended on the bus to get everywhere. I was currently living in  women's shelter for DV which was nearly 3 miles away from my job, school, and my son's daycare. I had a choice of catching 2 buses, the express to Philadelphia, or the regular bus to Philadelphia which were 35 minute apart. Given the express bus came first, and got to my destination at an ideal time.

The bus driver was not too thrilled that I had a child, or a stroller to put him. The stroller required the driver to unlock the bottom of the bus, or on somedays being stubborn, I would carry the stroller on board with me. The bus driver scoffed at me and my son as often as he could, and had come to the bus stop earlier so I could miss it a few times.

I wrote countless times to the transit company. The final time, I mentioned I went to Rutgers Law School, which was a half truth, because it was not my major. Then the transit company spoke to the driver about his behavior. The next morning, on my original schedule to get the bus, 3 people who had never been at the stop before were there. They were of African descent, all dark skinned, looked alike, and never speaking. Not to me or to each other. They looked aimlessly around, as we all do waiting for transportation.

I suddenly got a feeling a protection, oddly enough of accomplishment. When the bus arrived, with the same driver, one of the strange people helped me and my son unto the bus. They even helped with the stroller. They still did not look or talk to each other. This was a bit scary. That day of all days for them to show up out of nowhere, never seeing them before, or after that day. Like they appeared to make sure I received the respect and courtesy I deserved.

I know this is not a huge event to related to spirituality, but on a conscious level, something in the universe wanted to make sure I took the right steps, behaved morally myself, had a little faith, and had people there to help and reassure me. I did not feel alone anymore, that something somewhere could hear my prayers, and is aware of my needs. It is that way for all of us. But I have to admit, it was certainly divine timing.

Comments

Popular Posts